Wednesday 3 March 2004

Slice



Slice
21 x 50 x 10
drift wood, polystyrene foam packing sheet, acrylic paint, wood, shellac


Slice is a section of human life on a floating piece of driftwood. Within the apparently relaxed scene - evocative of a beach - there are mini dramas happening.

When I picked up this sun-bleached piece of driftwood I knew I had to use it in a sculpture.
I did some sketches to no avail. I happened to be experimenting with a sheet of polystyrene from a crate of fruit. From this I decided to populate the driftwood with sliced out and sculpted people.
They are approximately 1:50 in scale.
The base is wood recycled from furniture and
the dowels are commercial workshop off cuts.

Slice, detail

Slice, detail



Slice, detail

Selected finalist, exhibited in aRtECYCLE, 2009.

No comments: